Thursday, October 22, 2009

Signs Of Water Scarcity With Big Blue Melting



By Donnalynn Polito




Water may seem everywhere and may seem abundant enough. After all, when we turn on our faucets, we expect and get clean, drinkable water, each and every time.

So wrapping our heads around our biggest green challenge is a challenge all by itself. Clean, accessible water is the biggest green challenge we face.

Here’s another head warp. 2.8 billion people live in places with some degree of water scarcity. And, it’s predicted that 75% of the world’s population will be living in a water scarcity situation by the year 2025.

High on a steep hill, from my office, I can see a large blue swath of the majestic Pacific Ocean. A walk along the beach reveals dolphins jumping and pelicans diving. A surge of anchovies must have moved in.

“Water water everywhere, have you brought your boat?” was a billboard sign I saw many years ago, when I was in New York and very young, I might add. I always thought it funny and sorta nonsensical, but it has stuck with me for years. Good copy.

I found out later that the verse that stuck with me for years is actually part of an rhythm describing how ancient mariners were driven by the storms to eventually end up home again. I've included that verse here, but you can click on the link to read The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink ;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.

Back in my office, high on a steep hill, this house may soon become shoreline property. Read more about how Big Blue is the next big green issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment